Friday, August 25, 2017

Carbondale Eclipse Festivities: Comic Con, Eclipse, Crossroads Arts & Crafts Show | #FeatureFriday

The inevitable blog post you knew was coming. Because I live in Carbondale. 
The CENTER of the eclipse and all that jazz. But I was laughing my head off because there was a GIANT cloud (due to my mother's loving prayers for there to be a cloud to keep me from cooking and dying in the outdoors of the summer Carbondale sun) in the MOST advertised location to view the eclipse here in Carbondale.

Literally 5 minutes in any other direction by the SIUC arena/stadium would have had a clear view lol XD I love my prayer warrior mother. XD

One Jump Ahead of the Blogline! XD 
(bonus points if you caught the Disney reference)
- Eclipse Comic-Con
- Solar Eclipse
- Crossroads Arts & Crafts Show

To "jump", hit "Ctrl (or Cmd for Macs) + F" and type in the EXACT title. 

There are a TON of photos. You have been warned.

------------------------------------------

Eclipse Comic-Con

Considering the various factors of this event:
1) Carbondale, IL (small town)
2) SIUC (small university)
3) First convention in this area
Things were small, but okay for a "getting your feet wet" first time going to a con.

My high school friend, Christie, as Commander Shepherd from Mass Effect 2.
My little sister as Ren from RWBY (time-skip version).
Me as Tifa Lockhart (Final Fantasy Advent Children version).

Ran into an old acquaintance and his friend dressed as Jayne and Kaylee from Firefly.


Selfie at the mall. 
Some guy walking past our cosplay group yelled "CAN I JOIN YOUR POSSE?!" 
It was hilarious lol XD

Photo by Dad at the con.

Can't wait for the day when I can attend a bigger con!
What do you guys think of the costume?

Here's a general breakdown of everything I'm wearing:
Makeup : done by me, helped by sister
Black Vest : made by Gail
White "shirt" : THIN shirt from WalMart that I had Gail redo the seams for in the sleeves to cut the length of the sleeves in half
Black Pants : made by Gail
Black Skirt/Cape Thing : made by Gail
Shoes : Airwalk brand high-tops from Payless Shoes, white laces replaced with black ribbon, I colored in the silver eyelets with black marker and hot glued white ribbon to emulate the patterns on the shoes
Red Ribbon : thin red ribbon that kept sliding off my arm lol XD

My sister entered the Costume Competition with her friends on Sunday, all dressed as RWBY characters. They won. SO PROUD. <3

------------------------------------------

Solar Eclipse

I already spilled the cloud story, so here we go:

The one minute during the 30 mins before totality where the clouds temporarily cleared.







TOTALITY.
Clouds cleared for the 45 sec at the start and end.


You can see VENUS!! 1 o'clock from the tree.
See it?! :D

Random peeps looking at the eclipse.

It was really cool to see. Can't wait to have it in BETTER weather in April 2024.

------------------------------------------

Crossroads Arts & Crafts Show

A jam-packed weekend for sure!
This was Sunday - Monday of this weekend.
I broke my personal sales record, which was really exciting.


Headed out to the sale! The first day overlapped with the Comic Con, so we went in costume.
Sister kindly came to help unload things.

I stayed in costume till 2:30pm. And then I died and went to go change after that.


Changed! Also, look at my haul of bookmarks that I managed to churn out!
I made 120!! (with some help from my newly engaged friend, Elissa)

DAY 2!! There was a group trip from the Girl Scouts from all over the USA! 
Many clusters of them made a stop at our stall and many of them bought things! Here's a group.


Our booth during totality. 
There were clouds at this point. That's why I wasn't looking at the sky instead lol XD


...going to avoid outdoor sales like the plague until the next eclipse (I will reconsider at that time). I had to deal and accommodate TOO many problems that came up. Indoors is where it's at, guys. That is my new craft show rule.

------------------------------------------

PHEW that was a long weekend. I'mma go sleep now.

If you haven't subscribed yet, please do so :)
Click the "SUBSCRIBE" button in the top right corner of your screen, enter your email, and you're done!

Byee!~

No comments:

Post a Comment