Monday, April 17, 2017

If I Ever Fall in Love - Pentatonix ft Jason Derulo | #MusicMonday

It's no secret that I'm a fan of Pentatonix (aka PTX). Their vocal range and beautiful arrangements, not to mention their spot-on harmonies make people like me very happy :P Let me be clear and state that there are songs of theirs that I DON'T like, so don't assume that just because it has PTX on it, that I'm 100% for everything they do. So, that said...

-----------------------------------------

Here's a basic breakdown of PTX and their roles for those who don't know:
Scott Hoying – baritone
Mitch Grassi – tenor

Kirstin Maldonado – mezzo-soprano
Avi Kaplan – bass
Kevin Olusola – beatboxing


If I Ever Fall in Love - Pentatonix ft Jason Derulo is one of my favorites from their 2015 album, Pentatonix. The album is made up of mostly originals, with a few covers thrown in for good measure. This was one of them and I'm really glad it made it.

Small disclaimer, I don't listen to pop music unless it happens to be covered by an artist I'm already listening to, which hilariously enough, PTX (in particular) brings quite a bit of it to my attention. Friends who know me well are sometimes surprised that I know a song that is playing over the intercom at the mall or that I can hum along to a song on the radio, but almost immediately realize that I only know it because someone I listen to covered it. haha XD

Long story short, I had no idea who Jason Derulo is until I saw this video. Oops.
Please don't hate me. :(

My favorite parts of this song were: (know that I pretty much always love their harmonies, so to keep from repeating the obvious, I'm officially announcing here that their harmonies are always on point)
- the lead in, how they added the voices layer by layer
- the "all in white" concept
- the transitions from Jason's lead to Scott's lead was impeccably seamless
- Jason's high notes. WOW. Speaking of, Kevin Olusula actually sang Jason's part during their live concert in St. Louis (that also happened to be on Avi's birthday) that I went to last year. IT WAS STELLAR <3

That said, enjoy!



-----------------------------------------

And that concludes our first #MusicMonday episode! What do we think?
Let me know what else you'd like in the comments! :)
Subscribe (to the right) if you haven't already!

No comments:

Post a Comment