Monday, April 24, 2017

Shiny - (DISNEY METAL VERSION) ~ Moana cover by Jonathan Young | #MusicMonday

"WHAAAAAT?! Ariel listens to METAL?! What is this world coming to?!"

Okay, I know that's what just went through your mind, but calm down. 
You're right, I typically don't like metal as a genre, but can I agree that it's actually highly suitable to make Disney villains just that much more hardcore? YES. And you KNOW how I love me some Disney villain songs....mwahahahahahahahaha! (yep)

Anyway, to the case in point, Jonathan Young is EXTREMELY TALENTED. No joke. This guy plays a ton of instruments and he can sing, and man, does he do it well. He does a lot of rock and metal style covers, and while there are still many elements of the genre (i.e., the screaming) that I don't care for, there ARE some of his covers that I absolutely LOVE and this is one of them. If I'm looking for some good quality Disney villain covers...Jonathan's the man. No question about it.

-----------------------------------------

Shiny - (DISNEY METAL VERSION) ~ Moana cover by Jonathan Young is everything AWESOME about Disney songs.

- You love and hate the "dark, scary voice".
- You get chills up your spine when he does the villainous (somewhat animalistic) growls because you feel very much like you're about to be eaten by a giant crab.
- You can appreciate the contemptuous tone of a villain who knows what he wants and how he's going to get it.   

But this bit here...this takes the cake. Songwriter Lin-Manuel Miranda (creator of Hamilton) took notice of the cover and posted it to Twitter. How freaking cool is that?! Jonathan, you are a very lucky villain. You just hit the jackpot of all things awesome.

My favorite parts of this song were: (I'm stating now that I love his voice, so I'm not gonna keep rehashing this now that you know, 'k?)
- the overall "mafia boss" type glam of the whole thing, complete with "bokeh" type lighting
- the way this was shot (the arrangement, the cuts, his suit...)
- "beginners" *growl*
- evil laugh
- the chord at the end

Give this a listen, and I promise, if you're a Disney fan and you loved Moana...you'll be REAL SHINY (Moana, not Firefly reference) once you've finished the song!



-----------------------------------------

Do you know of any other covers from Moana that I should listen to? I've listened to JunCurryAhn and HollensFamily related covers already, so comment below if you've got another one. If I love it, it might just end up as a #MusicMonday episode!

Subscribe and be SHINY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment