Friday, March 17, 2017

Introduction Part 1: School + Work



So just to introduce myself to any internet wanderer who happens across this post, I'm 24. Turning 25.

I've more or less hit the point in my life where I'm going "I have to ADULT now?", to which the world has kind of replied with a resounding “Uh, yeah. Why haven’t you already?”

I feel responsible for my mess ups. Why don't they teach us this in school? I'm definitely in the camp of "I wish they'd taught me how to do taxes instead of having 3 different classes talk to me about x, y, and z (insert whatever you don't remember from school here)". 

A book that I read as a child was “The Very Worried Sparrow” by Meryl Doney (new edition here). It’s about a little sparrow who worries about everything from food, to shelter, to a future mate, and to the survival of his family. He later hears about the Great Father who made and cares for all his creations, even teeny tiny little sparrows like him. And that’s how God is, right? He’s our Jehovah Jireh, our provider, and above all, He’s our good Father. 

So while this 24-year-old may be sitting and worrying about health insurance that will have to be dealt with by the time she turns 26, permanent residency issues coming up in the next couple of years, job/career decisions once I graduate, the taxes and ins-and-outs of business with relation to my crafting, and the overall slew of things that is “adulting”, I’m going to do what I can, but leave it to God to handle most of it. 

Because after all, in Philippians 4:13, it says that I can do all things through God who strengthens me. But let's be real, folks. God does it, not us

--------------------

So to start of my small series of life introductions and updates, here's a small little excerpt of the kinds of things I do in my day-to-day pertaining to school/work:

- I'm currently attending a medium sized mid-western public university (for those who need to know the university, you already know), just starting grad school (which according to my Texas-based best friend (henceforth referred to as Heroine) is a "stupid stupid decision" but she loves me and supports me anyway lol). The name of my program is Learning Systems Design & Technology, and hopefully, after two years, I'll be an instructional designer (the job title is apparently debatable in the industry. Yay me!). I chose the school I'm in because I don't have to do a thesis. Fun, right? I don't foresee myself teaching in any capacity as a professor later on in life, one, because of my personality (I'm not the most patient person...) and two, I don't think that's what I want to do with my life right now.

- I have an online teaching assistantship at the moment that is paying for my tuition (in addition to paying me a small stipend) and I'm also working a freelance editing job for the National League for Nursing. I do things like editing exam questions and transcribing previous edition books into fresh Word documents, with whatever updates the boss has in store for me to work with.

More updates to come later, guys. I’m in Chicago for a friend’s wedding right now, so I’ll have a more extensive (and hopefully better composed) blog post next week, along with updates on my Chicago trip.

Subscribe for more updates (to the left somewhere). :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment