Friday, December 22, 2017

Team TORM | #FeatureFriday

Hey guys, this is a different kind of #FeatureFriday than usual, and the reason why is because the Fall 2017 semester is over and I finally have the chance (and the photos) to properly brag on the three fine gents who I've been working with all semester in my Gaming Narrative class (see the rough draft of our project here).

From left to right: Alan, Spencer, Me, Will

We do NOT yet have our final prototype ready for public use, but this post will be updated as soon as it is.

-------------------------

As an inside joke for our game + team name (Team TORM = Team "The Other Red Meat") in light of the fact that our game is about a human who has to survive for 2 weeks on a planet where humans are viewed as a rare culinary delicacy, we decided to go for steak at Golden Corral (partially because one of our team members had never been there before).

I didn't introduce them properly the last time, so I'll do it this time! Alan, Will, and Spencer, if you're reading this...please don't hate me if these were NOT the things you wanted me to remember about you lol XD

Alan (who doesn't eat steak, but posed with my plate for the sake of the joke), a fellow grad student in the class. Hilariously, he, like me, didn't actually NEED to take the class, but took it out of pure gaming and narrative interest (which long story short, we didn't enjoy the CLASS itself so much, as we did the results of what WE personally as a team got out of it from our own combined efforts). He is in the Psychology department, is the snarkiest guy I've ever had the pleasure to work with, and loves Night in the Woods.

I also had to work with him the most (we had a duo project together in addition to the group one) out of the three guys.

Will, our fresh graduate from the undergraduate program of MCMA (literally just this past weekend). He has a heart of gold (the first one to start bringing food for the group without anyone asking him to) and put in so much work to try to incorporate the full range of his 3D/2D skills into his share of the project. He also has a beard and 'stache that don't match the hair on his head, so when I saw him from behind for the first time close to the end of the semester, I found it highly amusing...and I should probably stop pointing it out. Sorry, Will lol XD

Spencer, the one who swears like a sailor (sorry, Spencer, but you do XD) but is so poignant in his timing and I can only describe his use of the language as "eloquently irritated". I genuinely do not even realize what he's saying until a good 10 seconds later. He's also one of the most proactive (work wise) teammates I've ever worked with, in the sense that he actually volunteered to do things before I had to ask him to do it.  

To sum them up in three words, they were hilarious, reliable, and hard-working.
Literally the best qualities I could ask for in teammates. I'd work with them again in a heartbeat.

-------------------------

In the spirit of fairness, I asked the three of them to write 2 sentences each about...well, me, providing the following texted "instructions":

Hey! Blogging about Team TORM this evening. I have descriptors for all of you (that you may or may not completely agree with lol), so it's only fair you guys get to do the same. What're two sentences you'd use to describe me (as a member of Team TORM, first impression or otherwise)? (I will not change a word, unless you decide to swear) Need it in the next couple hours if possible. Thanks!! XD



Small note, it literally did NOT occur to me how short I was (compared to them) throughout our team meetings (we were typically seated, and I was normally the first to sit and last to leave)...until the first day we stood up and presented as a group in the front of the class. 

As you'll see below, they were INCREDIBLY KIND. Part of what made me as effective as they're making me seem like is due to the fact that everyone was more than willing to do their fair share to ensure that the group as a whole did well. 

From Alan:
"I'd say that you were a good manager for the overall project and helped balance tasks between everyone. Also you helped out with the tasks as well. Plus you went above and beyond with the arts and crafts for the paper prototype."

From Spencer:
"As a member of Team TORM, Ariel was incredibly well-organized and acted as the glue that held our operations together. Without her, Escape from Kleidar simply couldn't have happened."

From Will:
"You’re very thorough in how you address and describe things. I also wanted to say that you’re very awesome as well."

-------------------------

Needless to say...Team TORM is by far the best team I've EVER worked with on a group project. I will genuinely miss working with these guys. I would GLADLY work with each and every one of them again in the future.

Alan, Spencer, and Will. 
You. Were. Awesome. I truly pray that you will "finish well" in everything that you set out to do, obtain bosses, colleagues, and positions that appreciate you for the wonderful individuals that you are, and that you are able to enjoy wonderful, fulfilling lives. 

Well, that's it for a sappy #FeatureFriday this week.
I'll see everyone on Christmas morning with a #MusicMonday!
~Byee!!

Enter your email address:

No comments:

Post a Comment