Friday, February 9, 2018

The Secret of "The Snow Queen" (The Greatest Showman has the Answer!) | #FeatureFriday2018

Yes, this is kind of a shameless extension of my excitement from the #MusicMonday2018 / #MovieMonday2018 post about The Greatest Showman, but for good reason. I was just ecstatic to discover a connection between this new musical love of mine with one of my favorite Disney movies, Frozen (namely Elsa).

A bit of background for you, as this is quite different from normal #FeatureFriday posts, it all started when I was discussing The Greatest Showman with a new friend. Musicals eventually led to music in general, which unsurprisingly, led to Disney.

He asked me what my favorite Disney movie was, to which my response included Frozen, mentioning that Frozen (and Elsa's original concept as a "villain") stemmed from the story called "The Snow Queen", originally written by Hans Christian Andersen. To my surprise, he'd never heard of The Snow Queen. I pulled up Wikipedia to aid me in my explanation of the story and found the following information.
I was genuinely surprised and very pleased with myself for finding this out. Enjoy.

-------------------------

The Greatest Showman: Rebecca Ferguson / Loren Allred (Never Enough)
Let's begin with the character of "The Swedish Songbird", Jenny Lind.

Rebecca Ferguson (who can sing, but learned specific techniques for "Never Enough" from a vocal coach for a month and half to make sure her "performance" would be authentic) plays her character in The Greatest Showman. However, her singing voice (in the movie) is by Loren Allred (finalist in the 3rd season of The Voice).

Here's the official lyric video (not really spoiler-y). A couple things are hinted, but don't shoot me, 'k? :)



Gorgeous, no? I loved the raw power of the vocals. No wonder Loren ended up in the finals!

If you don't know the story of The Snow Queen, click HERE to read the general plot / synopsis. It'd take too long for me to explain. Long story short, Frozen was loosely based off of The Snow Queen, but after they wrote "Let It Go", they wanted to change the story (and Elsa's character as the villain) into another form to better suit the song.

Ok, that's enough of a background story, now we're all on the same page.

MOVING ON! :D

-------------------------

The Awesome Part
Hans actually MET Jenny in 1840 and fell in love with her. Jenny was NOT romantically interested and the two amazingly stayed friends (guess that works sometimes lol). There's talk that Jenny, in her "cold-shoulder manner" towards the prospective romantic relationship actually INSPIRED Hans to model the character of the Snow Queen after her.

Better yet, my friend astutely pointed out (and I agree), there's a high chance that the modern term "ice-queen" stems from the fact that Jenny (from whom the snow queen was modeled) rejected Hans.

Cool? It gets better.

There are four characters in Frozen that were named in a way to create a play on words for Hans Christian Andersen. Try saying "Hans", "Kristoff", "Anna", "Sven" really fast and you'll see what I mean.

-------------------------

How cool was that? (no pun intended) A little bit different, as far as a FeatureFriday is concerned, but I think this was an exciting bit of trivia that was worth sharing!

Next week's #MusicMonday is an exciting one, because guess what, guys?
I found a Chinese. Christian. RAPPER. That's right. I'm dropping the mic on the next post. Don't miss it. :P

~ Byeeee!


Enter your email address:

No comments:

Post a Comment