Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Chinese New Year Celebrations (Year of the Dog 2018) | #WeeklyWednesday2018

*posted March 23

Blog Post for Feb 15th - 21st.

Happy Year of the Dog! :D
Lots of photos, not much text (surprise surprise), so I'm just gonna bring you all through it!
Hope your celebrations (for my Asian friends) and surroundings (for my non-Asian friends with Asian friends) were festive and exciting and brought you lots of joy and happiness!

-------------------------

Celebration at Home

Obviously, we took the opportunity to deck out the house in red and gold. 
Here are the various decorations that we've amassed over the years.

over the door thing, red packets hanging from some fake flowers, and a wall hanging thing
don't you just LOVE how eloquent I am right now? lol


here's a view of our "living room", blue draping thing is the "door" to my parents' room
also Chinese New Year CDs from like...the late 90s and early 00's. 

We also had hot pot. Again. haha XD
What can I say? This is new year food for us, which given that we're Chinese, means that there's a huge possibility of having it twice a year lol 

glass noodles and various veggies
NOT a huge fan of the first one, forget what it's called though...


abalone (YUM YUM YUM I LOVE THIS STUFF), starting from top left > fish tofu > fish / squid balls > mushrooms > (in the middle) fish dumplings, ground pork wrapped in tofu skins
These were my FAVORITE things on the table. No beef to compete, so I pretty much devoured this list... I was nice about it though. I at least asked before I took more. lol 

pork slices, delicious broth made by Mum (she boils bones overnight in our vacuum pot, Cantonese (Dad's heritage, actually) way of making high quality, healthy soups)

Tom Yum paste (my must-have in my hot pot soup), which is amazing because I actually can't handle spicy super well, but I love this flavor in my broth
Mum putting stuff in.


stuff is boiling
Mum is waiting for it to cook

my first bowl...and when it was almost finished


my second bowl, Tom Yum edition

I also spied a lovely thing being made here...hmm...what could it be? ;)

For a home celebration...it was NOT TOO SHABBY. <3

-------------------------

Celebration at CCF

I'll update this eventually with videos of the "talent show" section of the celebrations...
We had 1) worship, 2) "talent show" with three performance items (1: dance, 2: piano performance, 3: "girls' band thing"). 

Dad popped a CNY decoration under the cross so that the worship team's "backdrop" would look a little more festive. 
What do we think? :)

decor around the church kitchen doorframe, dessert table (also, recognize the pink + yellow + green dessert?)

the colorful dessert is a childhood favorite of mine that Mum calls "Chinese delight" (after Turkish delight from the Chronicles of Narnia). Not its actual name, but whatever. lol 
More dessert table details

oranges (Chinese New Year staple), more dessert table photos


friends with the decor :)

Mum going through the dinner dishes (listing them off for the benefit of our non-Chinese friends in attendance)


everyone in line for food! starting with Pastor Bruce :)

dinner table as a whole, pork dish by Mr. John :)

Mum made a ground pork + shrimp stuffed cucumber
others in CCF made stir-fried veggies with mu-er (wood ear) and Korean rice cakes


my dinner and dessert plates :)


Mum, Kim, and myself :)
Mum's so adorable and tiny in the second photo lol XD

And that's all the pictures! PHEW!
Until next time!! 

~ Belated Happy New Year!



Enter your email address:

No comments:

Post a Comment