Monday, April 9, 2018

Anastasia Broadway Musical | #MusicMonday2018

I've been binge-listening to this musical ever since it came out and would LOVE to see it in person...if you haven't seen the animated movie, Anastasia, you should give it a quick watch before listening to the Broadway track because you will LOVE some of the tribute background instrumentals that they have peppered throughout the music.

From what I've seen of the costumes (the wig quality on Broadway is insane, okay), they really went to town on this musical. I LOVE the beautiful dresses that they made for Anastasia, using SO MANY shiny bits and vibrant colors to really let the Russian royalty shine (pun TOTALLY intended).

One small note, they DID change the "villain" in the story from the evil sorcerer, Rasputin, to a character named Gleb (played by the super talented Ramin Karimloo, who played The Phantom in the 25th anniversary performance of The Phantom of the Opera in Albert Hall). Don't want to give too many spoilers away from the story (because I want you to listen to the tracks, ok?), but here's a picture of RK as Gleb, talking to Anya (Anastasia, played by the adorable Christine Altomare). I would've loved to see that creepy old sorcerer in live-action glory, but you know what? This is definitely more "realistic". I can get with that :)
-------------------------

Music Tracks


What I LOVED was that they kept a lot of the key songs from the movie, but actually REARRANGED the order. I LOVED how they did it. I kid you not, when I realized what they did, I was FREAKING out. Copied this list from the one on Wikipedia, songs are from the original movie, and these my personal favorites. Personal comments listed in green :)

Act I

Prologue: Once Upon a December
A Rumor in St. Petersburg
In My Dreams
- Christine Altomare. Is. Anya.
Learn to Do It

- this was a childhood favorite and it also kind of sealed the deal for me as far as the "trio" dynamic of Count Vlad, Anya, and Dmitry. The singers chosen for this musical are SO PERFECT.
The Neva Flows
My Petersburg

- I love that they gave Dmitry his own song and I love that Derek Klena (Dmitry) did an absolutely phenomenal job in giving us a new look at our favorite con man ;)
Once Upon a December

Stay, I Pray You
We'll Go From There
Still

- Ramin...who knew you could musically kill someone with a one-syllable word and holding it out with his voice? *melts to floor*
Journey to the Past

- if memory serves, this song was MUCH earlier in the story-line in the movie version. But I love that they put it here. I think it's original location was actually where they have "In My Dreams" here in the musicla.

Act II
Paris Holds the Key (To Your Heart)

Crossing a Bridge
Close the Door
Land of Yesterday
The Countess and the Common Man
In a Crowd of Thousands

- I love how they turned this into SUCH a cute moment for the two of them and then how it turned into a massive OMG I'M THE PRINCESS, OMG YOU'RE THE PRINCESS moment while still preserving their absolutely PRECIOUS emotions all the way through. 
Meant to Be

Quartet at the Ballet
- this song reminds me very much of "My Dear Old Friend" and "Devil Take the Hindmost (Reprise)" songs from Phantom of the Opera: Part 2: Love Never Dies (which is just as good, though slightly more adult in the theme than the first one that everyone knows) in that there are lots of overlapping rhythms, harmonies, etc from the different characters involved and I get goosebumps EVERY. TIME. QatB comes on.

Everything to Win
Once Upon a December (Reprise)
The Press Conference

- small note about this song, there's a line where Vlad is introducing himself and he says "And I'm Vlad Popov...P-O-P-OV!!!" There's a real estate agent in our town by the same name, and now, whenever I see that last name (his first name is also one syllable, ending in "d"), my brain goes "An I'm ___ Popov...P-O-P-O-V!!" It's SO bad. lol
Everything to Win (Reprise)
Still/The Neva Flows (Reprise)
Finale

-------------------------


Derek Klena = Dmitry (spelling based on Broadway spelling)

I'm just going to leave these images here and you can figure out for yourself why this is its own section without further elaboration.


THANK YOU to whomever cast this man.

-------------------------


Christy Altomare + Derek Klena = AMAZING IRL Anastasia Portrayal

A picture is worth a thousand words. Just LOOK at these photos.
How CUTE are they? I love the changing dynamic between the both of them. Would LOVE to see them perform live... <3



Freaking. Adorable. 

-------------------------

Hopefully I've stoked your inner show-tune lover and you'll go check out the soundtrack!
Glad to be back in the swing of things. I'll see you this Wednesday for a new weekly update of my daily life!

Byee!!


Enter your email address:

No comments:

Post a Comment