Friday, June 16, 2017

Wonder Woman | #FeatureFriday

It's time for #FeatureFriday and I going to try my best to share about Wonder Woman, so bear with me. Also, consider yourself warned NOW:



THERE ARE SPOILERS. 
DO NOT CONTINUE READING UNLESS YOU WANT SPOILERS!


Synopsis:
Before she was Wonder Woman she was Diana, princess of the Amazons, trained warrior. When a pilot crashes and tells of conflict in the outside world, she leaves home to fight a war to end all wars, discovering her full powers and true destiny.


You ready? Here we go!

-----------------------------------

"The Posters"

Let's just talk about this for a minute. More often than not, a poster showcases its lead actress for one of two things: her face or her body. This poster that they created for Wonder Woman not only DID NOT show her face, but instead silhouetted it, creating an air of mystery, but even in showing her body, one does not feel that Wonder Woman was cheapened into a sex icon of any kind. Nope. This woman's silhouette is equal parts majestic and powerful and I LOVE that they did this.



I'm unsure whether or not these posters were meant as 3 standalone or if I simply don't  have an original image, as the line is TECHNICALLY, "Power. Grace. Wisdom. Wonder", but you have to admit that this is cool. I personally feel that out of the three, Courage is the best. Power, I am inclined to state here that maybe those moments where her gauntlets were glowing or when she's charging through something may have a more powerful feel to them, but well, people may disagree. 

My main bone to pick with these is "Wonder". I feel like aside from showcasing that she's Wonder Woman, the poster doesn't do much. Quite frankly, with all of the other posters showing her as Wonder Woman, this one is a little lost. My thoughts on a substitute for this poster would be to instead showcase the look of wonder that Diana gets when she finally realizes that she's a powerful woman who can scale walls with her bare hands just by pounding the wall in because she's that strong and capable of doing so. That moment was SO precious, I wish they had highlighted it in a poster.


-----------------------------------

"Wonder Woman & Steve Trevor"




Let's just get it out there that Chris Pine is an awesome actor and I love his acting. Now, with that fangirl disclaimer out of the way, let's get to it. Dad likes to poke fun at the "nude" scene with Steve Trevor (Chris' role) saying that that's the part the girls love. I'd like to say that I like that scene, but for a completely different reason that does not focus on his abs. 

There's obviously the clear "Diana has never seen a naked male body" joke, but I love that she's just genuinely curious about EVERYTHING whether it was his body or his watch. 
It wasn't overly sexualized, but was a genuine scene of curiosity. Good job, WW director. :)

I also especially love that at every turn of his being a gentleman, he doesn't FORCE Diana to do anything she doesn't want to. By the same token, the film didn't go overboard in promoting the strength of women to the point of making men look weak and stupid. The difference in their strength was that she was a goddess and he was a human. An (to quote the movie a little here) "above average human", but still. 

This is my main issue with people getting mad at me for not declaring myself as a "feminist". My issue is not that women shouldn't be treated better and given respect. No. What I have an ISSUE with, is the thumbing down of men in the attempt to lift up women. Why can't women be raised up without putting men down? Both are strong in different ways. I love that Steve Trevor, while being painted as a "weak human" was never painted as a "weak man". 

Neither gender is BETTER than the other.
Let's make that clear right now. 

-----------------------------------

"The Amazons"



On that note, who DOESN'T love seeing powerful women portrayed in film? 
Many types of women exist, and another issue that I have with feminism is that meek and submissive women are seen as weak. Um. WRONG. But that's a topic for another time. 

For now, I'm going to focus on what the movie did extremely well, which was POWERFUL WOMEN. I especially love the fact that they got women from all occupations that require a high degree of physical fitness to as the Amazons. 

I can't share the crazy amount of detail regarding who the Amazon warrior actresses were, but I found two articles that share more about them. WOW these are some strong women.

http://thenerdybird.com/who-is-she-meet-wonder-womans-amazon-warriors/
http://thenerdybird.com/who-is-she-31-more-amazons-from-wonder-womans-themiscyra/

I also fell in love with the beautiful costume design and the wonderful color palettes of the Amazons' outfits. Gold and dark leather. Does that scream Ancient + Powerful army or what?! I also loved how they did the Queen's outfit. <3

I want to make a note that I actually didn't research anyone from Wonder Woman because I was actually mildly panicking that it'd be really bad. Can you believe it? lol

Anyway, when I first saw Antiope, I was like "wait, I know her. But from where?" (lack of research, folks, sometimes it's a lot of fun) And then it hit me that she's the freaking princess from Princess Bride. Cue internal screaming. 


A friend of mine (Mae) posted this on her Facebook. Um. YES PLEASE.


Can I get an AMEN because this is freaking awesome?! Thank you.

-----------------------------------

"Where'd the Shield Go?"





One of two points that I really...just CANNOT get past. Also, sword in the back of your dress? Honey, you'd have grown a steel tail that you wouldn't be able to explain. I don't care HOW nice your posture is.

-----------------------------------

"Ares the Giant Stag Beetle"

No pictures, but really. That's what I thought when his armor showed up.
Ares, the earth-shakingly powerful God of War...looks like a bright and shiny giant stag beetle. I can't deal with this.

Ari out.

-------------------------------------------------------------- 

All right, the fangirl rant is TEMPORARILY over :P
Next time on #MusicMondays, I'll be sharing about a lovely couple that creates some of the sweetest music videos I know. You'll love them. :)
Of that I have no doubt. <3

Subscribe (top right, click on SUBSCRIBE and enter email) if you haven't already!!
Byee~

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea she was the princess from The Princess Bride! That is so weird, lol. And yeah, that sword seems improbable to stick in your dress without drawing a LOT of attention. XD

    ReplyDelete